Friday, February 22, 2013

What Susanne has done for me.

I am reading a collection of Charles de Lint stories right now, just started this collection today, and in the very first story I came upon a bit of dialogue that really hit me where it counts. Here it is.

"Hell Staley, Some days I'm afraid of everything. Why do you think I spent half my life looking for oblivion in a bottle?"

"What Made you Change?"

I don't even have to think about that.

"Malicorn," I tell her, "Nothing she said or did--just that she was. I guess her going away made me realize that I had a choice: I could either keep living in the bottom of a bottle, and that's not living at all. Or I could try to experience ordinary life as something filled with beauty and wonder--you know, the way she did. Make everyday something special."

Staley nods. That's not so easy."

"Hell no. But it's surely worth aiming for."

Yes, it is. And that is what I learned from Susanne, Nothing she said or did--just that she is. Just by being, she's taught me more about living than anyone else, and it's cool, because she seems to think that she's learned a bit from me as well. We're a fair match.

Ordinary life is filled with beauty and wonder--if you take the time to look.

1 comment:

SDHerfurth said...

Hey...Ya! Laughter! I garner my philosophy from a duck and a dog on an afternoon like yesterday. They have much to teach! The duckling knows its limitations and is smart to stay close to those that can protect it. But s/he is brave to try new adventures and loves getting wet! The dog is loyal and sincere. They are both earnestly themselves.

If I can live life as well as a dog and a duck then I will be sucessfull! I pray that I live up to all you think of me! Love, Susanne